You can have the lean, flat stomach you’ve always wanted! Make these nutrition, exercise,
and posture tips part of your daily life and you’ll blast away your belly fat.
Eating for a Flat Stomach:
1. Maintain a healthy body weight. If you’re already above your ideal weight, you’ll
need to burn more calories than you consume to lose those excess pounds. It’s great
to tone your stomach muscles, but they’ll remain hidden until you shed any
fat that covers them.
2. Get plenty of fiber. A diet high in fiber will help prevent bloating. Whole wheat and
other grains also help you feel fuller faster, and most vegetables are low in calories.
3. Cut down on sodium. Many people eat twice as much sodium as health experts
recommend. Too much salt can lead to high blood pressure as well as bloating. The
biggest culprit is processed food, so read those nutrition labels and prepare your own
dishes from fresh ingredients. Drinking plenty of water also helps to lower your
4. Eat smaller meals. If lavish dinners make your belly bulge, try switching to smaller
and more frequent meals. Eat 5 to 6 times a day every 3-4 hours. You’ll be less likely to
get hungry and overindulge.
5. See your doctor. If you’re losing weight but failing to see any change in your
waistline, talk with your doctor. There are tests that can detect if you have food
allergies. You may need to avoid certain foods or take enzyme drops or tablets for
Exercising for a Tighter Tummy:
1. Understand the myth of spot reduction. Your body gains weight all over and
loses it the same way. Forget about the miracle gadgets advertised on television that
promise instant results. Save your money and devote your energy to more sensible
eating and regular exercise.
2. Do aerobics daily. Aerobic exercise is the best way to burn more calories. Take a
daily walk or run. Go swimming or skating. Aim for about 30 minutes of activity a day.
Supplement that with lifestyle changes like using the stairs instead of the elevator.
3. Strengthen your upper body muscles. Building strong muscles in your shoulders,
chest, and back will improve your posture and keep your abdomen from sticking out.
Do some weight training or Pilates a few times each week.
4. Tone your stomach muscles. Spot exercises are effective in combination with
aerobics and strength training. Crunches and leg lifts tighten and tone your
5. Have fun. Make your exercise routine enjoyable so you’ll want to stick with it. Design
a variety of activities. Reward yourself when you make progress towards a slimmer
Improving Your Posture:
1. Tuck your tummy in. Imagine that you’re pressing your navel back against your
spine. Even if it feels a little awkward at first, it will quickly become a habit with
regular practice. The results are fast. Your abdomen will look flatter. You’ll breathe
more deeply and feel more energetic. Even your clothes will look better.
2. Pull your shoulders back. Letting your shoulders drop back and relax helps to raise
your chest up. This way, all of your core muscles support your weight instead of
making just your abdomen carry the load.
3. Keep your body in alignment. Whether sitting or standing, try to position your ears,
shoulders and hips in one vertical line. Balance your weight evenly over the balls and
heels of your feet while walking or standing. Switch positions occasionally when
sitting or standing for a long time.
A flat stomach can work wonders on your health and appearance. Eat right, exercise,
and stand up straight. You’ll love your new look.