Chicken Cordon Bleu
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 plate
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 slice of ham, halved
1 slice of provolone cheese, halved
1/4 cup flour (seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder)
1 egg whipped with 1 tsp milk
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup tomato sauce with no added salt
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, skin-on, rinsed and quartered
1 bunch fresh asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- Slice the center of each breast horizontally, making sure not to cut all the way through — this will make a pocket. Put a half slice of ham and a half slice of cheese into each one and press the edges together.
- Place the flour, egg, and bread crumbs in three separate, shallow bowls. Dip both sides of each breast into flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Make sure to get crumbs on each side.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick and oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken breasts on one side until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the breasts and place them in an oven that was preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Insert a thermometer into the chicken breasts. Bake until they reach 140 degrees, then turn the oven up to 390 degrees. Cook until the breasts reach 165 degrees, then remove the pan from the oven.
- Meanwhile, microwave the potatoes in a covered dish for 5 minutes. Place them in a pan with the asparagus and roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Heat the tomato sauce on the stovetop too.
- Serve the chicken breasts over the tomato sauce and accompany with vegetables.
“Copyright foodandhealth.com, reprinted with permission”
Weight-Management University is HERE! Learn more about the Self Guided Educational Course that will teach you what you need to know to make exercise and nutrition a part of your healthy lifestyle for a permanent weight management solution.
If you live in the Gilbert area, treat yourself right by calling or emailing today to get started on an exercise program that will change your life for the best.