Feel full until your next meal with these low-calorie, nutritious snack ideas.
It’s only 10 in the morning, your stomach is growling, and you’re feeling sluggish. You’re trying to watch your weight and don’t want to overdo your calorie limit on a measly snack. But you don’t know if you can make it until lunch without something to nibble on.
It can be hard finding snacks that are both low in calories and filling at the same time. The trick is to find a snack that has both protein for energy and fiber to keep you satisfied. No matter if you’re in the mood for something sweet, savory, or a combination of the two, here are some great low-calorie ideas to satisfy your cravings. Each option is less than 100 calories.
Sweet Tooth Snacks
Depriving yourself of sweets is a recipe for diet failure. Give yourself a small break every now and then to enjoy in the foods you love. Otherwise you’ll reach a breaking point and overindulge.
If sweets are what you’re craving, try the following low-cal options:
- a cup of frozen grapes
- a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey
- a cup of your favorite berries mixed with two tablespoons of whipped topping
- a teaspoon of peanut butter spread on a fig bar
- three squares of dark chocolate
- a six-ounce glass of skim milk mixed with two teaspoons of chocolate syrup
- a cup of unsweetened applesauce with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- a four-ounce container of chocolate pudding
- a small banana-and-nonfat-yogurt smoothie
- two squares of cinnamon graham crackers with one teaspoon peanut butter
- a scoop of lime sherbet with sliced fruit
Just as easily, you can go overboard when munching on salty snacks. It takes a lot of will power to eat only a few potato chips. It’s better to just keep them out of the house.
So when you’re in the mood for something savory or salty and low in calories, go with one of the following:
- 10 baby carrots dipped in two tablespoons of hummus
- 25 pistachios (about two handfuls)
- five multigrain crackers and a stick of low-fat string cheese
- one egg and a slice of whole-wheat toast
- two cups of air-popped popcorn
- two long pretzels dipped in one tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- eight boiled shrimp dipped in two tablespoons cocktail sauce
- one ounce of low-sodium beef jerky
- about 40 goldfish crackers
- a cup of tomato soup sprinkled with one tablespoon of low-fat cheddar cheese
- three cups of raw peppers dipped in two tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette
- a roll of four slices of thin-sliced deli turkey dipped in two teaspoons of honey mustard
- 10 baked tortilla chips dipped in salsa
Sweet + Savory Snacks
Perhaps you’re craving a combination of salty and sweet foods. Sound good to you? Get your appetite satiated without feeling guilty by indulging in the following snack ideas:
- a non-fat cheese stick with half an apple sliced
- one tablespoon of peanut butter spread on a stalk of celery
- a cup of chopped melon in a cup of non-fat cottage cheese
- trail mix made of four chocolate chips, eight almonds, and one tablespoon of raisins
- two teaspoons of almond butter spread on a rice cake
- a whole apple sliced and dipped in one teaspoon of peanut butter
- four wheat thin crackers with one teaspoon of Nutella
Green Light on Snacks
If you’re on a diet, you don’t have to outlaw snacks. Especially since starving yourself is another way to sabotage your dieting efforts.
If you’re overly hungry when mealtime comes, you’ll be more susceptible to overeating. None of these 32 snack ideas sound appealing to you? Then get creative and make your own.
Because contrary to what your past eating habits may indicate, wise snack choices can be part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Weight-Management University is HERE! Learn more about the Self Guided Educational Course that will teach you what you need to know to make exercise and nutrition a part of your healthy lifestyle for a permanent weight management solution.
If you live in the Gilbert area, treat yourself right by calling or emailing today to get started on an exercise program that will change your life for the best.
Proper nutrition plays a key role in your journey to a healthy lifestyle and to meet your fitness goals. Planning a well balanced diet can be extremely overwhelming and time consuming. That is why I have teamed up with Personal Trainer Food to help make it easy for you. Click here for more information and when prompted, please type Trainer ID# 8170. When you are ready, you may click here to place your order. The quality of the food is second to none.