Casseroles like this are a lifesaver on busy weeknights, and unlike most casserole recipes, this one is dairy, grain and gluten free. The tender, hearty veggies and chicken are mixed with tomatoes and basil then topped with a sprinkle of toasted ground nuts and nutritional yeast. You get to enjoy delicious flavor while filling up on protein, veggies and fiber that powers your body and energizes your day.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 Tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- dash of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 eggplants, chopped
- 2 cups roasted chicken, cubed
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole dish with coconut oil.
- In a small skillet, place the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and pecans. Saute until golden brown. Remove from heat and pulse in a food processor with the nutritional yeast and dash of salt. Set the nut mixture aside.
- In a large skillet, place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pepper and eggplant and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken, tomatoes, basil and wine. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread the chicken and veggie mixture into the prepared casserole pan. Evenly sprinkle the nut mixture over the top of the casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 223 calories, 7g fat, 320mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, and 19g protein.
Weight-Management University is HERE! Learn more about the Self Guided Educational Course that will teach you what you need to know to make exercise and nutrition a part of your healthy lifestyle for a permanent weight management solution.