This simple, cleansing squash soup recipe is an amazing recipe to rely on this holiday season for two reasons…
First, it’s the perfect light meal to eat before you go out to your holiday party. You’ll make better food choices and will have less room for the fattening foods when you’ve already filled up on this guilt-free soup.
Secondly, this soup makes a wonderful day-after-the-big-party meal, when you want to keep things low-calorie, simple and cleansing. It freezes well, so make lots and save some for later.
Here’s what you need…
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 cups vegan vegetable broth (use low sodium to reduce sodium content)
- 3 green zucchini, chopped
- 3 yellow zucchini, chopped
- dash of salt and pepper
- 12 oz frozen butternut squash, defrosted
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- dab of plain Greek yogurt
- Spray the bottom of your soup pot with nonstick spray, and sauté the onion until soft. Add the broth, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook until zucchini is soft.
- Use your hand blender and puree the soup until smooth. Add the butternut squash.
- Remove from heat, add milk and lemon juice.
- Put a dab of yogurt in each bowl and swirl with a spoon.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 122 calories, 1g fat, 402mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 5g protein