You may have heard the expression that your body is a temple. Obviously, you only get one
body in a lifetime, so it’s a wise goal would be to cherish the body you’ve been given. One
way to do this is to maintain a healthy weight.
Fitness experts suggest limiting the calories you consume daily in order to maintain a
healthy weight. That’s why it makes sense to burn as many calories as possible throughout
your day. If you can’t consistently make it to the gym, check out these easy ways to burn
calories. Get your physician’s okay to exercise before beginning any fitness program or
1. Stand up. If you have a job where you sit a lot or find yourself spending
considerable time on the sofa, stand on your feet periodically throughout
• At work, there may be tasks you can do while standing.
• Sorting documents, looking through files, reading reports, and making handwritten
notes can all be done from a standing position. Some workplaces even offer standing
desks at which you can do computer work.
• Here’s an interesting tip to try at home: if you use a laptop computer and you have a
raised counter/bar area, consider placing your laptop on the high counter and
doing work while you stand.
• Even if you’re only on your feet for 15 minutes at a time, the calories you burn will
increase while you’re standing.
2. Walk around. Something as simple as walking around rather than sitting burns
calories. Think creatively to fit in more walking throughout your day.
• For example, let’s say you work from your home office and sit at the computer all day.
However, you occasionally receive phone calls on your cell phone or cordless home
phone. Make it a point to walk around the house during phone calls.
• Think about this: if you receive four phone calls during the day, each lasting 15
minutes, and you walk while talking, by the end of your work day you’ll have walked
for an hour.
• Although you’re not speed walking, you’re on your feet and moving, burning calories
during your busy workday.
3. Take the stairs. If you live or work in a building with stairs, consider taking the stairs
to burn calories.
4. Park farther from the door. If you take your car to work or to run errands, park far
away from your destination, even if that just means the far end of the parking lot.
• You can add several extra minutes of walking time simply by using this method
everywhere you go.
• Don’t underestimate the value of a 5-minute walk from your vehicle to the
grocery store or your workplace and back. Those 5-minute walks add up to
more calories burned.
5. Get a pedometer. For some extra motivation to keep you moving, consider getting a
good pedometer, which is a device that counts your steps.
• If getting instant feedback motivates you, wearing a pedometer will drive you to burn
• Fitness experts now recommend walking at least 10,000 steps per day.
• Use your pedometer as a reminder to get up and move around more.
6. Use exercise DVDs at home. Seek fitness DVDs you enjoy; otherwise you may not
feel motivated to use them.
• If you can’t squeeze in time to go to the gym, selecting an exercise DVD may be your
perfect strategy to burn more calories. Many of them can be done in half an hour or
less, or offer abridged versions of longer workouts.
• Check out the exercise DVDs at your local library. Normally free of charge to use for a
few days or a week, different library DVDs will help you decide which types of
exercise DVDs you prefer. Once you determine your preferences, you might want to
purchase your own DVDs to burn calories on a regular basis.
• Alternately, keep cycling through the ones available from the library. This will keep
your routine from getting stale.
Caring for your body is crucial to living fully. Let the simple strategies above work for you.
After all, only you have the power to take steps to improve your most cherished
“possessions:” your body and health.
Weight-Management University is HERE! Learn more about the Self Guided Educational Course that will teach you what you need to know to make exercise and nutrition a part of your healthy lifestyle for a permanent weight management solution.
If you live in the Gilbert area, treat yourself right by calling or emailing today to get started on an exercise program that will change your life for the best.