Jump roping is an excellent exercise for all ages, and it has many benefits including price, convenience, health, and wellness. Jumping rope is fun to do, but it’s also one of the best cardiovascular exercises that you can perform. Most people jump rope when they’re children, but most stop once they become teenagers, possibly even before that. If you pay attention to some of the best athletes, you’ll realize that they use jump rope exercise in their training regimen, and for good reason. Jumping rope will challenge your bones, muscles, heart, lungs, and stamina, making your body stronger and healthier. Below are 9 benefits of jump rope exercise, and some of these will surprise you.
9 Benefits of Jumping Rope
- Improves cardiovascular health. – Jump roping is a great cardiovascular exercise. The steady jumping up and down will get your heart pumping fast, and it will strengthen it while you have fun jumping rope. You can use a heart rate monitor so that you’re in an optimal heart rate range that’s safe and effective.
- Improves stamina and breathing efficiency. – Jump rope exercise will help improve your stamina and breathing efficiency. Simply put, it will help your lungs work more efficiently to get your body the oxygen it needs to sustain activity, including exercise, for a longer period of time.
- Burns a large amount of calories in a short time. – While jumping rope, you’re steadily jumping up and down. This action is taxing on your body, and it will help you become stronger, more fit, and it will help you burn tons of calories. The faster and longer you jump rope, the more calories you will burn. Because of how many calories jumping rope will help you burn, it is a great choice of exercise for anyone wanting to lose weight.
- Agility and Quickness – Jumping rope will help you improve your agility and quickness. Jumping rope requires you to be agile if you’re going to be coordinated enough to keep jumping. You can do some variations of jumping rope if you want, and you can try moving around while jumping rope to improve your agility.
- Strength and Power – Because jumping rope is a jumping movement, you will improve the strength and power in your legs if you jump rope regularly. The harder your legs work, the stronger they’ll be. If you want to add resistance, try jumping rope while wearing ankle weights.
- Increases bone density – A reduction in bone density is a serious problem that can lead to broken bones as you age. It’s normal to lose bone density as you age, however, there is something you can do about it. Weightlifting increases bone density, and so does jump roping. When you put stress on your legs with weight or jumping movements, your body will respond by building up your bones so that they can withstand the stress of the jumping or added weight.
- Decreases the chance of foot and ankle injury – Jumping rope strengthens the muscles that support the ligaments and tendons in and around the foot. It’s best to jump slightly off of the floor, using your toes as a springboard, in order to give these muscles a great workout. Jumping rope regularly will protect you from foot injuries during other sports and activities
- Affordable – Jump ropes are affordable for just about anyone.
- Convenient – You can jump rope anywhere. It’s easy to keep a jump rope in a gym bag, your car, your backpack, and even a purse for when you have a few minutes to sneak in some exercise or during your lunch break.
As you can see there are many benefits of jump rope exercise. It can help you improve your overall health, help protect you from injuries during sports, and will help you lose weight by burning calories. Jumping rope is affordable, convenient, and fun. It’s easy to get started, so what’s stopping you?