Kettlebell workouts have become extremely popular over the last several years. This is because more and more people are starting to realize just how beneficial they can be.
Here are just 4 of the many benefits associated with kettlebell workouts.
Benefit #1 – Increased Power
The initiation of a kettlebell swing requires a very powerful hip thrust. You have to use your entire body to get the kettlebell up.
You will be using your glutes and hamstrings to make this happen. The muscles you use to lift a kettlebell are known as the power zone muscles.
These are the muscles you use to lift just about everything. When you use a heavy kettlebell you increase muscle power.
When using heavy kettlebells be sure to put safety first. Only do a few reps to ensure you can get through the entire motion with proper form.
Benefit #2 – Muscular Endurance
The stronger your muscles become, the better your muscular endurance will be.
Get a light kettlebell and perform high reps in combination with short periods of rest. With every kettlebell swing you will be working just about every muscle in your body.
Benefit #3 – It Increases Your Aerobic Capacity
Anytime you do any form of cardio it’s an aerobic exercise. Kettlebell swings can also be considered aerobic exercises.
Again, it’s all about high reps and low weight. Try to perform at least 50 reps or more. Doing so will give your heart a good workout as you will be out of breath.
Some kettlebell enthusiasts are known to do sets of 500 or more. There is no need for you to do that many to get the aerobic benefits. However, if you can get to that many more power to you.
Benefit #4 – It Improves Your Anaerobic Capacity
Interval training kettlebell workouts are a great way to improve your anaerobic capacity. Swing a moderate weight for at least 30 seconds.
The goal is to work your way up to 90 seconds. After each set rest for a short moment and do it again. Repeat it as many times as you can. As you do your heart rate will accelerate quite a bit.
Your muscles will also start to burn as lactic acid starts to produce. This is completely normal and nothing to worry about.
A 15 minute kettlebell workout can burn as much as 300 calories.
Now that’s a good workout!
How To Use A Kettlebell
- To properly perform a kettlebell swing your stance must be correct.
- Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart before you start.
- Hold the kettlebell securely with both hands.
- Your weight should be evenly spread through your heels and front of your foot.
- Bend your knees and push your hips back. You should be in a quarter of a squat position.
- Make sure your arms are straight and your shoulders are back.
- Do not round your back. This can lead to injury.
- Now just thrust your hips forward and swing the kettlebell.
- As the kettlebell comes back down get ready to do your next swing.
- Do as many as you can in a 30 second period.
- Rest and do it again.
There are many routines and different way to use kettlebells, and several great video workout programs that you can use in the comfort of your own home.